Thursday, September 16, 2010

Shortcut to "Happyness"


(Please note that the following blog is meant for adults who are mature people, not immature people who think Twilight is the greatest thing since sliced bread.)

I recently saw a movie called Shortcut to Happiness, where the protagonist sells his soul to the Devil in order to make him a successful writer. Notice how I mention "successful" and not good. Gone are the days when an author could write three whole pages about the knights armour, nowadays all we can look forward to are lines like "Do I dazzle you?"

One such person who seems to have sold their soul to the Devil is Stephenie Meyer. I'm not saying she isn't successful, but her writing is probably as good as a blind person trying to compete in Formula 1.

Why the sudden hatred for the "twilight" series. At a website about famous quotes people actually put up a quote by Edward Cullen. Now I have major problems with this. Apparently Edward Cullen is now so famous that he outranks Abraham Lincoln in famous people to take quotes from. (Abe Lincoln's quote was on the second page)

Most people I know are on Team Edward or Team Jake. I am on Team -I'm so glad I can read words more than 8 letters. Everyone knew I was against the twilight franchise when it first became a craze in India. I must say I might be biased not having read the entire book or seen the movies but the mere fact that it changes what Vampires can die by, astounds me. Apparently Vampires dazzle in sunlight, not burn away to embers. Give me Blade anyday.

I think Stephenie Meyer has been stalking Karan Johar as well as Woody Allen. Again the question "Why" comes to most peoples brains. The reason for this is that she has taken a typical Bollywood film script and added Woody Allens life to it to make the end more interesting. Boy meets girl, Boy falls in love with girl, Girl falls in love with Boy, Second Boy falls in love with Girl, both boys team up against evil, second boy doesn't get girl. This is where it gets Woody Allen'ish' Second Boy falls for daughter of first boy and girl. ( Woody Allen married his adopted daughter) And just so that this becomes a little less obvious that she was stalking them, she adds vampires and werewolves. I mean no disrespect for Karan Johar or Woody Allen by relating them to Stephenie Meyer because some of their works are really works of art and should never be dissed like this current blog.

And although I will admit that Stephenie Meyer may have worked hard and earned her dues it does not take away from the fact that it was a horrible piece of literature with tons of grammatical errors. (This is taken on word from a friend who actually read twilight). This book had mass appeal for all those people who actually don't read literature or books at all, and to make it worse for the people who could not even read the books because it was too tedious they came out with Movies to make it more accessible and therefore infinitely more irritating.

Another fact that she changed about Vampires was that apparently they are dead. ( I read this on a site...see I do some research before criticizing)Essentially it means that Edward Cullen does not have a heart beat, no heart Beat means no blood flow, no blood flow means no arousal, no arousal means no chance in hell to procreate, no procreation means no children, no children means that Jacob will have to go and find some other persons daughter to fall in love with. Not only does she change the set down rules relating to vampires as laid down in Dracula, she also decides that she can alter the rules of biology (Vampires were humans before they got bitten). Just because Vampires can turn in to bats and fly doesn't mean that all parts of his body can 'levitate'.

To deal with this great curse upon mankind I suggest that we start up a rehabilitation centre for treatment of T-Cells. T-Cells are brain cells that are dead because of constant exposure to crappy literature. T-Cells is short for (Twilight Cells). Normally they are removed through brain surgery in which Doctors have to wear sunglasses cause when they operate the T- Cells will start 'dazzling' in the light. However this does not mean to say that the person is a genius and dazzled people with his/her intelligence. It is a risky procedure and because of which most people don't opt for the surgery and wear t-shirts printed with Team - Jacob or Team -Edward on them not realizing that no such sports team exists. However due to old and classical methods a cure has been found by making such people expand their horizons and read literature that actually requires you to use your head such as Alexandre Dumas, Shakespeare and Tennyson to name a few. Thus is the need for a Rehabilitation Centre, also known as a library (sans the twilight series). I am willing to set one up and all donations must be sent to the "Give Taha A Porsche Fund" which is not tax deductible. However I shall promise to use these funds only to buy great literature and not buy a Porsche or alcohol for my band (Read:Canaries through Grinders).

Now I am reaching the twilight of my blog and all I want to say is that I hope Stephenie Meyer is satisfied with all the money she earned from the Twilight Franchise, cause I don't think I can live through another torture like that once more.

(All Comments were meant to be jokes and should not be taken seriously)

11 comments:

  1. hhahaa. Imagine if Count Dracula knew he would dazzle in sunlight and not die ...he too would be living it up in some city and spending all his ancestral money ! Mina , Lucy and Jonathan would have lived happily ever after ! Stephenie meyer ..what were you thinking ? Were you ? !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not agree with you more. I read the series because a friend asked me to & I genuinely expected it to get better with every chapter & book but it didn't. It's a really bad piece of writing. I mean I could write a better book than Meyer! Those books have mediocre written all over them!
    Btw... I loved the "levitation" :) Too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL :D but that series is perfect fodder for silly teenage girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and everyone wants to compare this to Harry Potter...(being a potter fan , I am disgusted)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally someone who shares the same views! I am surrounded by people with 'I love Edward Cullen' taped to their heads!! And I would certainly love to be part of the doctors' team that operates on the 'T-cells' even if it means endangering myself to the so called dazzling effects!! Loved that you added the biological angle of reproduction-always bothered me as a doctor. I think Stephanie Meyers took the word 'fiction' to an altogether new level!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dont get the Chetan Bhagat haters or Twilight haters.I only read Chetan Bhagat's 2 States and I absolutely luved it.Never read Twilight,but grabbed an illegal copy of first part of movie frm net even before it became a hit,and it was methinks a fairly entertaining movie.

    Sure I dont like Karan Johar movies but I know that is meant of adolescent market and isnt meant for me.It doesnt mean I should start out a hate site for it.I think these kinda behaviour is either an elitist cribbing or worse jealousy.There are many parts to become successful and clearly those who brag they can write better than Ms.Meyer shd try it themselves and then brag.What is "good" is a subjective thingy.For example,you can see ppl fighting over that a comedy was hilarious and other one saying it is worst movie ever.What is "successful" atleast on sales parameters can be accurately judged.Yes,majority of people are average and lacks "depth" and I wonder why ppl are always surprised about it.Are you living under a rock?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just reiterate the fact that such blogs are written. What is "thingy" and who on earth uses lingo like "methinks".. Grow out of the old ages.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, let me state one thing. This site is not just meant to bash Twilight, although it is the favourtie blog amongst my readers. It may seem that way because you only looked at the link that was probably posted somewhere.
    Secondly, if you think Chetan Bhagat is exceptional literature you have a lot to read. I suggest Dumas, Dostoevsky, Kafka to name a few
    Thirdly, considering she is 37 years old, and I'm just half her age. I think I write pretty well, considering she has had a lot more time than me to improve her writing skills.
    I shall also point out that if you think Karan Johar is meant for adolescents, what was twilight meant for?
    I never said she was not successful, I just said that it was not a great piece of literature.Considering I have another job apart from sitting and writing all day and the most I can afford to write is my short blogs, I think I do pretty well.
    Again, it may seem good to you, but its not good to me. Like you said its subjective.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't get through 2 pages of that novel! Simple love the way you have picked on the "dazzling in the sun" and "levitate" bit.The novel has simply molested the theory on Dracula and Werewolves

    ReplyDelete
  10. Read this if you haven't. Veryy funny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L253VLwH3w

    ReplyDelete
  11. I mean watch, not read. :| ^^

    ReplyDelete